Saturday, July 21, 2007

Spanish Eddie and Garbology

I don't ever mean to do anything criminal. It just happens.
So, years ago I'm hanging out at Manny's and I hear about a recod collection that went to a flea market. My car was towed because my ex-wife, who was my wife at the time, didn't tell me about the tickets she was getting on the car. I was about to call a cab to get to this flea market when Manny chimes in, "Spanish Eddie will drive you. He needs some extra cash."
When I have to pick up stuff, that's all I think about. So, I was already on the road with Spanish Eddie when I noticed all the broken glass under my feet, "Someone break into your car?"
"No, I just stole it. Listen, I need to get an advance on the trip."
Now, I could have gotten out anywhere. I've been stranded in many places in my life. Its not a big deal for me to get out anywhere in this city. I've done walkabouts all over this city, not unlike like the movie The Warriors. I wanted to get to my big deal, so I gave him twenty bucks up front and stuck in the car.
He did not want to get breakfast. The money was for dope. So we had to stop at some bodega. Then he had to shoot the dope , so we stopped at this apartment house in Ridgewood. There was nobody home, so instead of moving it along, Spanish Eddie opened the trunk and found a crowbar to break into the apartment.
I still was not flipping out about these criminal offenses, I just wanted to get that record collection.
Before he could break into the house, his girlfriend came out and they scooted inside screaming at each other as two beat cops came around the corner.
Finally, Spanish Eddie came out pin eyed. He drove like a nut and I got my record collection. I gave him another twenty and sent him on his way. I took a luxurious car service home.
When, I saw Manny next, he was laughing, "You want to dig a hole with Spanish Eddie? He's around the corner."
"Now, what is Manny getting me involved in?" I thought to myself.

Around the corner, Spanish Eddie was hired to dig out a basement. He was putting all the dirt in this car which he stole. Oy.
Later, I saw that car in the neighborhood, filled with dirt.
When I saw Spanish Eddie next I asked him, "Everybody saw you filling dirt in this car which you stole a few blocks away. Then you moved it only a few blocks away. Why didn't you at least move it out of Ridgewood and drive it to Forest Hills or somewhere far?"
"I didn't want to walk back and I didn't feel like stealing another car. I was finished digging out that basement?"
What could I say to this. What I will say is that I've seen a lot of stupid criminals commit a lot of stupid crimes before they get caught.
I have since let collections go before engaging with criminals. Its just not worth the embarrassment of explaining to a judge what I was doing in that car. Would you believe me if you didn't already know how stupid I could be?

No comments: